c_angler

I took out the manual page break, it didn't change. I then went to modify
heading 1 and checked the box page break before, in addition to the other two
boxes that were checked window orphan control and Keep with next. I even
then unchecked keep with next and it still didn't change. Do you have some
more suggestions?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You haven't confirmed whether or not you have a manual page break at the end
of the title page, which could well cause the problem you describe.

"c_angler" wrote in message
Suzanne
I have checked the number formatting for Heading 1. It is definitely set

start at 1. In the number format box, there is a 1 in the gray field.
For kicks, I chose to start at Chapter 0, and wouldn't you know, my first
chapter then becomes Chapter 1 instead of Chapter 2. This could work, but

still need to find the error that is causing this. I did Edit, find,
hightlight all items found in: header and footer. When I do this, it

first
takes me to my title page of the document, but I don't see a Heading 1

there.
In fact, I selected the entire title page and put it in regular body

text,
then I even cut it out of the document and it still didn't label Ch 1
correctly.
One bit of info. I did cut and paste the entire unformatted, unstlyed
document into what I thought was a template I created for this manual with
just the styles I wanted to use. Could there be an error there and can

you
help me find it?
Thanks

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

sure
you didn't set the numbering to start from 2. If you didn't, then use

Find
to look for a Heading 1 paragraph before your first Heading 1. My guess
would be that you inserted a manual page break before the chapter number
paragraph; the page break has the same style formatting as the following
paragraph. Instead of a manual page break, use the "Page break before"
property in the paragraph or style.

If all the subheads are 1.1, then there's a chance that the numbering in

the
"Number format" box is typed numbers rather than fields. If they don't

have
a gray background, then they're not fields.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"c_angler" wrote in message
I am having another major problem. I have stripped the document,

applied
my
few styles. I formatted the style Heading 1 like shauna kelley

describes.
However, my first chapter that I apply it to says Chapter 2, every

chapter
after follows in the right number order. My first page is a title

page,
all
done in body text, my 2-3 page is just an intro. all done in body text
with
some bold.
Finally, my 4th page is where Chapter 1 starts, I have removed page

and
section breaks, but still my first ch says Ch2. What can I do? I

can't
proceed with page numbering until I fix this.
Thanks again

"c_angler" wrote:

I am trying to number sub headings in chapters. All chapter titles

are
working with Header 1. Now I need each chapter sub heading to be
numbered
like this:
for Chapter 1: 1.1,1.2,1.3 for Chapter 2: 2.1, 2.2, 2.3.
I want two digits showing. I have gone to a Header 2 for that, and
tried to
modify numbering, even unchecked the box that says restart numbering
after,
and all my subheads throughout the multi chapter document are

labeled
1.1.
What am I doing wrong?
I have read all the answers I can find in the group session and

still
can't
fix this thing! The document was written with little or no styles
applied,
and I am having to do that now.
Thanks in advance.