pasdetrois

What about a situation where someone has already messed around with styles
and you cannot seem to fix them. I'm working in a client's document and my
problem is that even though I select an outline numbered header to apply, it
won't apply to every place I want to apply it. For example, I can get 1.0 and
2.0 but not 3.0.

When I try to use the instructions provided in the URL in this thread, I
cannot get past level 2/header 2 (I cannot get a third level to work).

I did try clearing and re-setting all the numbering selections, but they did
not re-set to what I'm used to seeing as default. So I did not have good
numbering selections to choose from.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

I would suggest that you proceed as follows:

1. Print a hard copy of the document so that you have a reference for
formatting (this is optional, but it will help you see what paragraphs
authors intended as block quotes, figure captions, etc.).

2. Make a copy of the document file.

3. In the copy, press Ctrl+A, then Ctrl+Q and Ctrl+Spacebar. This will
remove all directly applied formatting.

4. With the entire document selected, apply the Body Text style to the whole
thing since that will likely be the style ultimately applied to most of the
paragraphs.

5. Delete any section breaks in the document.

6. Create a new document based on the template you plan to use (with
Headings 1-3, Body Text, List Bullet, Caption, etc., formatted as you want
them).

7. Use Insert | File to insert the stripped copy of the document into your
new template.

8. Go through the document applying heading and other styles as required. If
you have Word 2002 or 2003, using the Styles and Formatting task pane makes
style tagging go quite quickly.

9. Now you are ready to create headers and footers, insert section breaks as
needed, generate a TOC and/or index, etc.

This is a tedious task at best, but it's the best way to ensure a clean
document that it is easy to work with.

"c_angler" wrote in message
Thank you, I think I need even more help than that. This document is
multiple chapters, It has been cut and pasted from all different

locations,
so when I show the styles/formatting box on the right, there are literally
over 50 "styles" applied. I can't even find the original Heading 1 over
there!
Is there a quick way to take a document like this and apply a limited

number
of styles to it, say about 7? I want the document to have Heading 1, 2,

and
3 only. Then I want body text, maybe bullet text, maybe label text for
labeling figures, and that's it. Is there a way to make the styles I want
and apply them to an already written document that shows so many "styles"
everywhere I look?
Thanks again for helping me in my ongoing struggle.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

What you need to be using is not Header 1 but Heading 1, 2, 3. See
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...ingStyles.html

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"c_angler" wrote in message
Adding to my confusion:
After I carefully formatted heading 1 and heading 2 following the
directions
in shaunakelly's document, when I look at the document in "outline

view",
just noticed that my Chapter 1, Chapter 2 headings aren't labeled as a
level
1. They are labeled as body text. How can that be if the headings

were
formatted as stated in the document. And each Chapter 1 is in a black

box
like it is a field, not just text.
My document looks great, it's just the TOC that I can't get fixed now.
Does this matter: I renamed my headings as I modified them so that I
would
recognize it, then I formatted the numbering from what I call my

header1
like
shauna kelly says to. Could it be that even though I am calling it

Header
1,
it really isn't, and if so, what can I do?
I feel helpless now!
"c_angler" wrote:

I am trying to number sub headings in chapters. All chapter titles

are
working with Header 1. Now I need each chapter sub heading to be
numbered
like this:
for Chapter 1: 1.1,1.2,1.3 for Chapter 2: 2.1, 2.2, 2.3.
I want two digits showing. I have gone to a Header 2 for that, and
tried to
modify numbering, even unchecked the box that says restart numbering
after,
and all my subheads throughout the multi chapter document are

labeled
1.1.
What am I doing wrong?
I have read all the answers I can find in the group session and

still
can't
fix this thing! The document was written with little or no styles
applied,
and I am having to do that now.
Thanks in advance.