Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
JohnH JohnH is offline

Default If Statements in Word 2007 How To?

Actuall Graham I'm all set I think? It appears to be an anomaly? The first
time I look at a record with addr2 it shows a blank line between addr1 & 2
but if I cursor back and forth ti appeas fine. Appears fine in print as well.

Thanks Again
John

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

Use CTRL+F9 to enter each pair of field brackets then

{Mergefield Address_Line_1}{IF{Mergefield Address_Line_2} "" "
{Mergefield Address_Line_2}"}
{Mergefield City} etc

JohnH wrote:
I have seen many post on how to suppress blanks lines in a merge (
address line 2 is blank so don't print it). My Problem is I cannot
figure out how to write the If statment. I've seen posts that show
the actual merge with the IF in it but for the life of me I can not
reporduce it. I've tried the Rule option but I can't figure how to
enter the merge fields.. I tried typing directly into the doc but
that gets treated as text. I know I'm just missing some simple
process step but I cannot figure it out or find it in help. MS Word
help does not seem to address this process. I can find unlimited
methods to skip records but not blank fields. The address block is
not an option because it cannot be mapped accurately with the data
files I work with plus it always comes in as 1.5 spacing and I can't
turn that off. To make a long story short hwo do I enter if
address_line_2 is blank skip it and print/merge the city,st,zip line
right beneath address_line_1

Thanks
John