Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bob Mathews

Default Equation Editor doesn't consistently allow size/style changes

"Math Teacher Lady" wrote:

I'm using the Equation Editor that is part of Office Word 2003. As a
math teacher, I type equations in Word documents nearly every day.
I've...encountered mystery problems with the software. The one I'm
most puzzled/frustrated by is why the software occassionally will not
allow me to redefine the size or style of font that I am writing in.

And on 11-Apr-2006, Nick responded:

I too get incredibly frustrated by this bug, but today I found a solution
- albeit not very satisfying.

When the menu items are not working, the keyboard shortcuts DO still
work. I don't know if there is a shortcut to get to the Define Styles
window, but you can set predefined styles (such as Matrix-Vector) with
key strokes. I searched on Google and found this list:
math.arizona.edu/~lacotta/Busmath/MSEqnKeyboard.pdf

The keyboard shortcuts are also listed in the Equation Editor Help file
under Reference Information Keyboard Guide.

As to the problem of not being able to select Equation Editor menu items, I
don't doubt the fact that you're having the problem, but I've never seen it.
It sounds to me like some conflict within Word, or perhaps another Word
add-in conflicting with Equation Editor. One thing you might consider is
using the Evaluation version of MathType (available at the link in my
signature). This will work for 30 days with full MathType functionality, and
will work indefinitely beyond 30 days, but with the extra MathType features
disabled.

Bob Mathews bobm at dessci.com
Director of Training
FREE fully-functional 30-day evaluation of MathType 5
Design Science, Inc. -- "How Science Communicates"
MathType, WebEQ, MathPlayer, MathFlow, Equation Editor, TeXaide