Default Printed Margins don't match settings ??

Footer margin is measured from botom edge, also, but to topmost point
where
footer text can appear.

This is not true, though I'll admit that it appears that way because of the
way the footer pane is displayed on the screen. But in fact the footer
margin is the space from the bottom of the page to the baseline of the
lowest line of text. Additional lines of text are added upward and push into
the document body as required.

"CyberTaz" wrote in message
Hi Will-

Word's (bottom) text margin settings are measured from the bottom edge of
the page to the lowest allowable text line based on font size & line

spacing.
IOW, baseline of the last line of text will not necessarily be _at_ the
bottom margin, but will never be below it.

Footer margin is measured from botom edge, also, but to topmost point

where
footer text can appear.

You can't put any ruler guides on the page, but you can go to
ToolsOptions-View, check the box for 'Text Boundaries', which will mark

the
page at the points where your text margins are set.

HTH |:)

"Will" wrote:

On page setup
I have the header and footer set at .35
I have the top and bottom bottom margins set at .75

Question...

1 - For the footer... does .35 mean from the bottom edge of the paper to

the
bottom of the footer?

2 - For the bottom margin... does .75 mean from the bottom edge of the

paper
to the bottom of the nornal text on the page?

Or does .75 mean the bottom of the normal text is .75 inches above the

top
of the footer?

Finally... Is there any way to drag rulers onto the Word screen?

I'm trying to hold a straight edge up to the screen to try and see where
text falls relative to the ruler along the side.

thanks for any help.