Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John Blight John Blight is offline

Default Hyperlink to bookmark in Word 2007

Thanks for your efforts, Stefan. They're appreciated.

I'm going to raise it with Microsoft. If anything comes of that, I'll post.

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

I forgot that you got it to work in Word 2003 (which I haven't tested).

Sorry, I have no further suggestions. I suspect you will have to use the
workaround you've found (saving as PDF).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"John Blight" wrote in message
I don't think it's a security issue, Stefan.

Links of the form:
http://server/mysite/docs/mydoc.doc#mybookmark
file://C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Stefan/Desktop/target.docx#test

work when opening the document in Word 2003, so the behaviour seems to
have
changed in Word 2007. Such links are

Links of the form:
file:///C:\\Documents%20and%20Settings\\Stefan\\Desktop\\t arget.docx

don't look like standard links to me. I've seen the use of '\\' as a path
delimiter in C-based code, or in Windows Registry paths, but not in web
links.

I've been trying to find a way of opening a Word document at a bookmark
through command-line switches, but there doesn't appear to be a suitable
one.

I can save the DOC as a PDF in Word 2007, and link to a page in that PDF,
which isn't as accurate as linking to a bookmark.
http://server/mysite/docs/mydoc.pdf#page=2

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

I'm wondering if this could be a security setting, not necessarily within
Word, but within the browser.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"John Blight" wrote in message
The link is from a webpage to a Word document. Links in the form
decribed
by
Stefan don't work from a browser.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Why do you need a workaround? If you use a properly formatted link
(such
as
the one in Stefan's example), it works, right?

http://word.mvps.org

"John Blight" wrote in message
Thanks for the confirmation, Stefan.

I assume this is a glitch in Word 2007, rather than intended
behaviour.

I'm going to look for a workaround. If I find out anything useful,
I'll
post
it.

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

You are right: THAT doesn't work (unless I remove the #test part).
:-(

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"John Blight" wrote in
message
You're hyperlinking from one Word document to another?

Thanks for your help on this, Stefan. Could I ask you to try
something
else
for me, please?

If you execute this url in your browser, does it work?
file://C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Stefan/Desktop/target.docx#test

Something similar for me doesn't work.

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

Here's the hyperlink field code:

{ HYPERLINK
"file:///C:\\Documents%20and%20Settings\\Stefan\\Desktop\\t arget.docx"
\l
"test" }

I'm using Windows XP too.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"John Blight" wrote in
message
I've applied all Office updates and all critical updates, but
there's
no
change in behaviour.

I can't link to a bookmark in a locally or network saved Word
document
either.

I'm using Windows XP. Are you using a different version of
Windows?

"John Blight" wrote:

Thanks, Stefan.

Good point about the updates; I'm trying that now.

What was the hyperlink url that worked for you? You say you
were
linking
a document on your local PC, so did that include an explicit
file://
prefix?
Presumably it wasn't an http link?

John

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

In a quick test, hyperlinking to a particular bookmark
seems
work
for me.
Note that I haven't tested with a Word document on the
internet,
only
on my
local computer (which of course may be relevant).

Another thing to consider: Are you using the most recent
updates
with
Word/Office?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"John Blight" wrote
in
message
I can hyperlink to a bookmark in a Word document if the
document
is
opened
in
Word 2003, where the link is of the form:
http://server/mysite/docs/mydoc.doc#mybookmark

However, in Word 2007, the document is opened at its top;
the
bookmark is
ignored.

Could anyone confirm whether this is a known problem with
Word
2007?
have
seen another instance reported:
http://www.tech-archive.net/Archive/.../msg00410.html

but supporting evidence would be helpful.

Thanks.

.

.

.