Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Barbara Barbara is offline

Default How do I prevent Word from adding target="_BLANK" to half my l

As for your comment, "Using Word to either create or view web pages in NOT a
sound practice"...

This was the best idea I could come up with. We have many content authors
contributing to our web site. They all have Word (mostly Word 2000, which is
currently the corporate standard). Very few of them have, say, Dreamweaver.
So our process is to develop, review, and approve content in Word (just
treating everything as a normal document, not a web page). (This does involve
a number of weird rules about graphics placement, table setup, avoiding tabs,
flagging links that should open new windows, etc.) Then we (the content
managers) use Word 2003 to create filtered HTML. Then we run a script that
tweaks various things in the HTML. Then we paste the HTML into IBM Websphere
WCM, which is where the web content actually resides. This process is not
pretty. But it does enable our authors and reviewers to work in an
application with which they are familiar and which gives them most of the
capabilities they need to create the content.
--
Barbara Hill

"Don" wrote:

?B?QmFyYmFyYQ==?= wrote in
:

Thanks for your answer, Robert. If I understand you correctly, it is
simply unpredictable whether Word 2000 is going to set a link to open
in a new window. And there is no way of knowing by looking at settings
in Word (either 2000 or 2003). In the case of these four documents, I
surely created all four hyperlinks in the same way as each other.
Probably it was with the icon in the toolbar. Well, I find it somewhat
annoying that Word randomly decides whether a link is supposed to open
in a new window or not. But I guess it is what it is. Thanks again.

Using Word to either create or view web pages is NOT a sound practice.

Have no clue how to prevent Word from inserting the new page option
randomly.
You might try unselecting "Updating Links on Save" in the Web Options.

However, it's a simply matter to use any text editor (most Win comes with
Notepap) and search and replace the following

target="_blank"

replace with delete

save and upload the revised page.

There are also many free html editors that offer string repalcement across
selected folders.
I use "Search and Replace 98", which has proven a very benefical time
saver.