CyberTaz

It sounds as though the files are either a) encrypted or b) corrupted. If you
don't know the mannere in which they were encrypted there probably isn't much
you can do. There are outfits who specialize in file recovery, but there is
no guarantee and it can be quite expensive.

Three ideas (make duplicates first):

1. If you have access to a utility program you could try that to see if it
can "rebuild" the files,

2. Go into Word's Open File dialog box and choose one of the older
WordPerfect formats that used the .doc extension from the Files of Type list
(probably won't succeed, but worth a try),

3. As above, but choose the Recover Text From Any File selection.

LOL |:)

"Lauren" wrote:

Thank you for the suggestion - they all say they are .doc files, yet when you
double-click to open [in Word] and use the default Windows file conversion -
you get nothing but garbage, i.e. symbols , etc.

"CyberTaz" wrote:

Hi Lauren-

You might try navigating to the folder where the files are stored,
right-click one and choose Properties from the popup menu to help determine
more about file type. It may also be helpful to adjust your Winows settings
to display filename extensions. What happens if you double-click one of the
file icons?

HTH |:)

"Lauren" wrote:

I have several documents I am trying to open but I am unable to because they
are encoded. When attempting to open in Word, the File Conversion window
appears but none of the options make the documents ledgible. I don't know
what application the documents were originally created in [they are all
approx 3-4 years old],but they will not open in WordPad, NotePad or
WordPerfect. I have re-installed Office2k3 on my pc and installed the Batch
File Conversion Wizard. This does not help. I don't think it is a
permissions issue. Please help.. Thank You in advance.