Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers,microsoft.public.office.misc
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Default Securing a Microsoft Word 2003 Document

Yes, but not very securely. Remember that ANYTHING that can be displayed on
screen can be stolen, but you can make it a little difficult.

If you use File, SaveAs, select the Options button, you can then password
protect the document as Read Only.

With the document open, you can also select the whole document and apply
Tools, Protect and give it a different password making it non editable too.

These will make it difficult for the casual Word users to edit as the
password protection is quite strong in Word 2003 (as long as you use a
random LONG password).

A better and slightly more secure solution is to create a PDF from the
document and protect it. However, the same goes for PDFs too in that an
expert can still steal it.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"saw" wrote in message
I am not sure if this is the correct group to post my question to.

I wrote a microsoft word document that needs to be distributed in a word
format. However, I want to protect my document so that no one can change
but myself.

Can this be done in MicroSoft Word? If so, How can I do this?

Any help is greatly appreciated.