Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Paul Paul is offline

Default Set minimum spacing before/after paragraph

Ideally, I can specify space-before and space-after, and Word would
space two paragraphs apart according to the larger of:
* Space-after for preceding paragraph
* Space-before for succeeding paragraph

This way, I get the following:

* If I got (say) a bullet list after a heading 2, I get the
(presumably larger) spacing after the heading 2.

* If I got no spacing before/after normal body paragraphs,
I still get extra bullet spacing before the first bullet and
after the last bullet

* If I got (say) a Heading 2 following a bullet, I still get
the (presumably larger) spacing needed before the
Heading 2.

On Jun 11, 1:59*pm, "Peter T. Daniels" wrote:
Why wouldn't you use Space After for spacing your bullet items?

Also: How did you post this query? I'm seeing it in the newsgroup (via
google groups), and there have been no postings here in the last four
days -- apparently Microsoft finally made good on their threat to
sever their help assistance from the newsgroups available to the rest
of the world.

On Jun 11, 1:25*pm, Paul wrote:

In Word 2003, the spacing between paragraphs seems to be the sum of
the the following:
** The spacing after the preceding paragrapph
** The spacing before the next paragraph

Instead summing the two figures, is there a way to specify that the
*minimum* spacing after a paragraph, or the *minimum* spacing before a
paragraph? *For example, if the space-after for the last paragraph is
less then the space-before the next paragraph, then the space-before
the next paragraph is used. But the two are not added.

This seems like it would make much more sense than the current summing
that is used. *For example, for a bullet style paragraph, I know how
much space I need between bullets, which I can set as the space-before
the bullet style. *However, the first bullet after a Heading 1 may
need more space, as dictated by the space-after for the Heading 1
style. *I wouldn't want to add the two, because the space-before the
first bullet is immaterial in this situation.- Hide quoted text -