Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Daiya Mitchell

Default Outline numbering in multidocument books

Word Heretic might come along and help you out, but most of the people
posting here donąt know much about master documents, because:

Why Master Documents corrupt:
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Genera...ocsCorrupt.htm

How to recover a Master Document:
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Genera...MasterDocs.htm

Steve Hudson [Word Heretic] on how to make Master Documents work safely
(might have an answer to your question):
http://www.techwr-l.com/techwhirl/ma...dhomepage.html

You might also check these links for potential workarounds:

Creating a Table of Contents Spanning Multiple Documents

See the łNumber Pages Across Files˛ section at this link:
http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindy...r/MiscFram.htm

IncludeText Fields can partially substitute for the Master Document
feature‹for an introduction to them, see he
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFldsFm...textfields.htm

Word experts generally advise combining long documents into one file, if
possible, and you will find more information on controlling those big files
he
http://daiya.mvps.org/bookword.htm

On 11/15/05 8:29 AM, " wrote:

Hi,

I have set up outline numbering in a multidocument book bu following the
procedure of MVP Shauna Kelly at the link ...

http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html

The problem is with the sub-documents ....

The approprite number comes up when I assign the relevant 'heading' style to
the paragraph. However, when I save the document and close it and then open
it, all the numbers dissapear EXCEPT for level 1 (which is associated with
Heading 1), which keeps its number. I can get the numbers back by simply
going to style box (top left hand corner) and clicking (to highlight) the
style (which is correct) and the hitting return, but clearly this is not
practical!

This problem does not appear to occur for the main document.

Can someone offer advice please on how to sort this problem.

Thankyou.

Please use my e-mail for replying - thanks.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: