Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Henk57[_101_] Henk57[_101_] is offline

Default Aligning figures to bottom of page, WITH working bookmarks

Bob: here is a trick I use for captions with figures. Make a paragraph
for figures (eg BodyText_Fig). This allows you to select "Keep with
next" (which would be the caption) and set space for/after settings
consistently for yr document. If you set yr default inserting of
pictures to In line with text you can simply put yr cursor in the
BodyText_Fig paragraph, and select Insert/Picture/From file...
I also use separate styles for captions for figures and tables, as the
latter is set as keep with next (and not the fig caption), and they
both have different spacings for/after.

Trust me, I have a large book (and growing) with a 20 + page TOC, TOF,
LOT and with Appendices with different heading levels. The TOC works
impeccably since its conception. You can download the TOC as a pdf,
just in case you want to see how it looks from
www.eurebooks.eu/downloads/information
(I am on Win XP / Word 2003 so some commands may be a bit different in
Mac).

Robert M. Franz (RMF);2425236 Wrote:
me13013 wrote:
[..]--
For justifying "half sentences" and avoiding they run towards the end
of the line insert a tab after the period at the end of the sentence
before hitting enter.-

YESSS!! Thanks. That was the magic mushroom I was looking for in my
first attempted solution. I'll have to try that to see if it works.-

yes it does. And depending on compatibility settings (in Winword,
that's
Tools | Options | Compatibility: Don't expand character spaces on a
line
that ends with SHIFT-RETURN), you can get justification to work on
lines
ending with SHIFT-RETURN also, without the tab.

I've "typeset" (more than) my share of theses in the 90s, and with
Word.
You can certainly create more caption categories. One of the students
came up with an interesting idea: use one generic category for all (so

you don't end up with possibly quite short "table of Figures", "table
of
Tables", "table of whatnot".

But things should work with your own bookmarks as well. In Frames, for

instance. Not sure why this does not yield good results with you: maybe

you're better off asking in a mac-office group, if more problems
arise.

But ultimately, you do typeset manually here. Only once. Your thesis is

worth it. In large documents that change a lot, you probably settle
with
some white space here and there more easily.

HTH
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS