Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
dwarkin dwarkin is offline

Default Converting all old Office Files to 2007 format

We have about 40.000 files in older
Office-formats whereof, about 25.000 in Office 95, about 15.000 in
Powerpoint-Presentations and WORD-Handbooks. Where may I send them to have
them converted? All of our former letters, a large part of our presentations-
and handbook-archiv is in-accessible for Office 2007.
Besides, Graham, WORD cannot show WORD-for-DOS-files properly; so Microsoft
desides whether and how long we users are entitled to access our files after
years. This is contrary to any compliance worldwide.
Microsoft may learn: we users MUST have access to older files without
restrictions. There are two main reasons to use computers: to work more
effectively and to be able to access former datas without restrictions. As
long as I can open PDFs from any year but not my Office-files after 5-10
years, even the XPS-Format will not be intruduced in companies, at least not
in europe ;-(((((
I think we all would be very greatfull if microsoft would release a
compatibility-pack for older files very urgently and would focus this problem
in this and any later office-version as a main feature for
business-customers. This must assure two main features: to view any older
file-type (preferably even the olde DOS-files still stored in many companys)
and to convert those for further use.

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

StefanKZVB wrote:
1. You can't use some Word 2007 features with doc files.

No you can't but your old documents don't have Word 2007 features.

2. .doc might become unusable with a future version - like Powerpoint
2007 can't read Powerpoint 4.0/95 files

This has never happened with Word before. Word can (still) open all previous
versions.

3. The "native" mode of applications is likely to be more tested /
bug-free / stable. Here's an example of a buggy implementation of a
compatibility featu
http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...=en-us&m=1&p=1

It's a bit of a leap to believe that may be true, given that Word's doc
format has been around mucvh longer, but I take your point. Do your old
documents have this problem, or only new ones you are creating in
compatibilty mode? If not I still see no reason to mass convert old
documents. Those that need to be altered to cater for modifications that
would benefit from the Word 2007 features can be done as the issue arises.
It seems you are just making a lot of unnecessary work for yourself, but
then I'm not paying you .....

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

Why bother converting them? Word 2007 will open them and edit them
as they are?