Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
yoshi.mitsou yoshi.mitsou is offline

Default Is there a workaround/kludge for cross referencing text thatcontains spaces and/or special characters?

I just returned back here to post this very explanation. It dawned on
me this morning after talking with a colleague that I was doing
exactly the wrong thing in my approach--I wasn't understanding the
tool fully.

I use a different word processor often, and it handles its equivalent
of bookmarks and cross references differently. Applying that tool's
approach to a Word document wound up confusing me. Things improved
once I realized that the bookmark title is just a designation and not
the text that will be reflected in the x-ref.

It also helped to realize that I have to select the entire phrase that
will appear as the cross-reference and then apply the bookmark to that
phrase. In the other word processor that I use, you can simply add its
equivalent of a bookmark to a space anywhere in the paragraph that you
wish to cross reference and it'll do the right thing. Doing that in
Word yields an empty x-ref...one more thing that compounded my
confusion.

All is well now. THanks, Suzanne, for the help.