Jerry

Hi, thanks again for your most valuable help. I copied and pasted
everything in a new document and got the size down to the original
9 megs.

And you are right, I misunderstood your question - there was a
number of embedded Visio diagrams. I ctrl-shift-F9-ed them, and
the size dropped to 6.5 megs.

"Margaret Aldis" wrote in
message ...
| Hi Jerry
|
| In that case I would actually start to be worried about document
| corruption - 9-60Mb is a huge bloat and suggests you are building up some
| serious crud in the file. If it isn't something that "should" be there,
then
| it suggests some excessive complexity in the way Word is storing the
| non-textual information in the file (formatting pointers etc.)
|
| I'd start over with a new document from template, and paste all but the
last
| paragraph mark into the new document. Or try saving to Word HTML and
| reopening to see if that improves things.
|
| (Reading your reply again, I'm not sure if you understood my question
about
| embedded graphics - this is where you see an EMBED code if you toggle
field
| codes, as opposed to a pasted graphic or one which is linked to an
external
| file. Depending on the tool that owns the format, this sometimes seems to
| achieve huge bloats for minor changes such as a change of size.)
|
| --
| Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP
| Syntagma partnership site: http://www.syntagma.co.uk
| Word MVP FAQ site: http://www.word.mvps.org
|
| "Jerry" wrote in message
| Hi. Thanks for your reply. The answer to all of your questions is no. I
| also
| switched off stuff like embed fonts, embed linguistic data and the like.
| And
| yes, there's plenty of graphics, but I've been deleting some, rather
than
| adding anything. By all logic the size should have gone down...
|

| "Margaret Aldis" wrote in
| message ...
| | Do you have track changes on? Or the Allow fast saves option checked?
Or
| | Automatically save versions? Any of these will keep all the original
| content
| | plus any changes you make in the file.
| |
| | The file bloat does look huge though - do you have any embedded
| graphics?
| |
| | --
| | Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP
| | Syntagma partnership site: http://www.syntagma.co.uk
| | Word MVP FAQ site: http://www.word.mvps.org
| |
| |
| | "Jerry" wrote in message
| | I've been working on a large document (220 pages, 9 MB), mainly
| changing
| | the
| | formatting, rearranging paragraphs and deleting comments. The
document
| now
| | objectively contains less information, but is 60 MB in size. Why is
| this?
| |
| |
| |