Doug Robbins

This is almost certainly the expected behaviour if both documents are
formatted with the Normal Style. I would try creating a different style for
the paragraphs with the space after them. Apply that style to then and then
try executing the merge.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"Gordon Detlor" wrote in message
USING: Word 2002 SP-1, Excel 2002 SP-1, WinXP Pro v5.1 SP2

TASK: Create multiple groups of insurance policy documents (one group per
client), with each group consisting of (a) a one-page main policy
document, with client-specific data (merged from Excel), (b) one or more
pages of state-specific policy endorsements, and (c) a final page that is
the same for every policy. Each document in the group must show its own
unique document number in the footer, along with the page# and the #pages
in that document (not the number of pages in the group or the entire batch
of groups).

PROBLEM: The state endorsement files look fine when viewed on their own,
but when merged into the group, they lose some formatting. In particular,
they use a paragraph style for headings w/ 12pt spacing after the
paragraph. The merge target document has 0pt spacing after paragraphs, and
this seems to be overriding the style of the merge source. In the merged
document, there is no separation between the heading and the following
text.

ATTEMPTED SOLUTION: I tried putting each document in a separate section,
which worked for the footers (doc number and page numbering), but not for
the line spacing. Here's how the merge document is structured:

= = = = = = = = = =

[Section 1]

Main policy document w/ merge fields (this is always one-page when
showing merged data, though sometimes two when showing merge field codes).

[Section 2]

{ INCLUDETEXT "i:\\endorse\\{ MERGEFIELD "Policy_State" }.doc" }

Continuous section break

[Section N]

Disclaimer document (no merge fields; same regardless of which client or
state)

Note regarding Section 2: The file included may have one or more sections
in it, depending upon how many state-specific documents there are. If more
than one, there is a Next Page section break between them. I also tried
adding "\* mergeformat" (without the quotes) just left of the right curly
brace, but that caused even more formatting problems.

Please pardon the length. I'm trying to give you all the relevant info to
avoid wasting your time. Any help would be much appreciated.