Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default over score over a letter

Did you actually read the original post? Although the subject line says
"over score," the actual message says:

how do i put ` mark over top of the letter e such as in Beef Jardinie`re

From this it is clear that what the OP is looking for is an e with a grave
accent (regardless of what he calls it). I did refer to the
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/Overbar.htm article in another post, but
that is NOT what the OP was asking for.

http://word.mvps.org

"Twayne" wrote in message
In ,
Suzanne S. Barnhill typed:
It is *not* a left single quote in Word (which is what this
NG is about); it is a grave accent [U0060]. It can be used
in the shortcut Ctrl+`, ` to insert a left single quote if
Word's AutoFormat As You Type doesn't do so correctly, but
it does not insert the left single quote character [U2018].

And it's NOT what the OP asked for either! HOW do you do the overscore?
Jeez, talk about ignoring the OP!

Twayne

It is also an unwarranted intrusion in many contexts. I was
frustrated for years with one Web site to which I posted
regularly that converted the ' character [U0027] to `,
making, for example, "don't" appear as "don`t"--very
disconcerting. "Ian Rastall" wrote in message
On Sat, 6 Mar 2010 12:16:04 -0600, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
wrote:

I see no practical use of the ` at all

It's a left-single quote, which can be used for that
purpose in any software that recognizes it as such. TeX is
one application that uses it.

Ian

Life is the only real counselor; wisdom unfiltered
through personal experience does not become a
part of the moral tissue.