Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default StyleRef Formatting Frustrations

I think Peter has identified some of the key issues involved. In the past,
similar issues have been associated with form fields converting to MS Mincho
(a Japanese font), which is equally infuriating, and I have had this happen
even outside of fields when using Ctrl+Spacebar on some characters that I
believe are (covertly) drawn from Arial Unicode MS (en and em spaces). I
don't have any Asian language enabled, either, so it is puzzling why this
happens. I know that MS (or at least some people at MS) are aware of issues
of this type because I've submitted problem documents where this sort of
thing was happening.

http://word.mvps.org

"Dax Arroway" wrote in message
Ms. Barnhill herself! WOW! Thanks for coming to my rescue. I'm honored.

I'm using a character style. Funny thing is when I simply insert a form
field its Normal Style (Arial) but if I apply the Normal Style to the form
field, it switches to MS Gothic. If I insert the field and clear the
formatting (CTRL+Spacebar) it switches to MS Gothic. This leads me to
believe that there's an underlying Font field imbeded within the document
somewhere or somehow. I even changed the Default Font by using the Font
dialog box and selecting the Default button but this doesn't fix it.

PS: I don't even have MS Gothic on this machine. MS Gothic, or whatever
it's defaulting to... is ugly!
--
I would give my left hand to be ambidextrous!

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Are you using a paragraph or character style? If the latter, you should
base
it on Default Paragraph Font, and you shouldn't see this issue. If it's a
paragraph style, what style is it based on?

FWIW, I've never even heard of MS Gothic.

http://word.mvps.org

"Dax Arroway" wrote in message
OK, this is driving me friggen nuts! I'm hoping someone can please
help.

I have a form (Word 03) that I'm trying to use sbarnhill's SytleRef
trick
with. The Useful StyleRef tricks page is:
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/S....htm#FormField
because I want to insert a Name field (client entered) and Date field
(client entered) into the footer. So far so good. I did all of the
instructions and everything works --except-- the formatting of the form
fields turn from my Normal Style Font (Arial 10pt.) to MS Gothic and I
can't
figure out why or how to fix it.

I've tried switching the Style Type to Paragraph and it still changes
MS
Gothic when the style is applied to the form field. I tried deleting
it
and
reformatting it by entering Arial into the Formatting field ofthe New
Style
dialog--still MS Gothic. And it gets weirder! If I insert a form
field,
just a normal one, and apply the Normal Style to it, it changes to MS
Gothic
Font even though it was all ready Normal Style in the first place!
AAHHHH!!
Am I going crazy or what? Does anyone have any clue as to what the
heck
is
happening with this form? Where is the MS Gothic Font coming from?
It's
not
in any of my Styles or Normal.dot. Grrrrr.

Would someone kindly tell me where this might be coming from? 'Cause
I'm
about to through my monitor out the window! I know that won't fix my
problem
but it sure would feel good! I'm sure some of you know what I'm
talking
about! Anyway, if any Gurus out there could please come to my rescue,
sure
would appreciate it. Much much thanks in advance!
Best,
Dax
--
I would give my left hand to be ambidextrous!