Dan M

Default How do I continue numbering from one list style to another?

So in 2. below, would I assign a different style to each level?
One thing I'm confused about is reusing the outline numbering. Do I have
select the outline numbering tab each time I want to start a new procedure?
Is there a way to trigger it to start with a style? How about applying it to
an existing procedure?

"Jezebel" wrote:

1. Each numbering sequence is specific to the style. The paragraphs of a
given style do not need to be contiguous to continue the numbering. If you
right-click a number, the context menu gives you the options to restart the
numbering or continue from where you left off. (You can manipulate this
through the Bullets and Numbering dialog, also.)

2. Experiment with the nuts and bolts of outline numbering, including the
options available if you click the 'More' button on the Customize dialog. By
the sounds of it, you might be able to meet your needs with a three-level
outline: step number, sub-step, and bullet. Note that the indented levels
don't need to be indented relative to each other (that is, sub-steps and
bullets could have the same physical indent). The advantage of this approach
is you can switch between levels using the Increase/Decrease Indent toolbar
buttons.

3. As an alternative, you can roll your own numbering system using SEQ
fields: that provides the numbering sequence but leaves the formatting and
choice of styles entirely up to you.

"Dan M" Dan wrote in message
Hi,
I'm am interested in the list sytles available in Word. I think it may
help
solve an automation issue we are having with a template. What I would like
know is if there is a way to continue numbering from one list style to
another. We write procedures in which a step may have sub steps labled
with
alpha characters and another step may have an unordered bulleted list
under
it. I've set a List Syle called Alpha List and Bullet List. If I have a
procedure that is half Alpha List and half Bullet List I need to be able
continue the first level numbering between the lists, but reset it when I
apply either list style elsewhere in the document. Is this possible?
Thanks for any advice you can give.