Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default How do I revert from office 2007 menus to 2003 look and feel?

I think the operative phrase is "don't hold your breath". First, I don't
believe that Bill Gates is involved in the day to day operation of Microsoft
anymore. Second, I believe that the ribbon interface is aimed more at the
billions of people who have never used Office before, rather than the tens
of millions who have. I'm told that they will find the ribbon easier, more
discoverable, and more intuitive. Do I believe this? No. Not really. But,
that's beside the point.

Those who don't like the ribbon interface can a) go back to Office 2003 or
earlier, b) convert to OpenOffice (free) or something else, c) compromise by
using one of the training-wheels solutions, or d) bite the bullet and use
the ribbon interface despite the fact that they hate it.

A lot of MVPs fell into category d, largely because of a need to support
other users for whom a, b, and c aren't really choices.

I'm not sure where you bought Office 2007, but all of the places where I buy
software offer a satisfaction-guaranteed-or-your-money-back policy (if they
didn't, I wouldn't shop there). So, presumably... unless you've kept it
beyond the money-back time period, you're possibly not stuck with it.

To correct something you said, however... It is true that some add-ons that
restore part of the look & feel do cost money. But, at least one (the
starter edition of Patrick Schmid's RibbonCustomizer) is free. See:

http://pschmid.net/office2007/ribbon...er/starter.php

For a different approach -- which can be done without downloading any
additional software -- see the following article, which shows at least one
way to make Word 2007 a bit more similar to Word 2003:

http://word2007bible.herbtyson.com/2...more-familiar/

The latter was my own compromise, and has made Word 2007 a lot more usable
for me. I'm not all that fond of the Office 2007 interface (it's an
ergonomic nightmare as far as I'm concerned, since it takes many more steps
to accomplish things than it did in Word 2003). However, I've gradually
adapted and have replaced the round-about methods with methods that better
suit my working style. So, at this point, it's no longer an ergonomic
nightmare (but it took me months before I was able to make that statement).

Good luck!

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"Paradise" wrote in message
Thank you... I knew about these already... What I am looking for is
Microsoft to add the classic 2003 feature to thier product. I realize
some
folks think the new look and feel is great , I hope the MS realizes that a
great deal of CUSTOMERS like the Classic menu's and built in MS options
should be available for them. After the money I just spent for this
product
I am not going to pay more to fix it... Thanks again for the
suggestion..

Mr Bill, Are you listeming?

"Luc" wrote:

Paradise,