Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dawn Crosier, Word MVP Dawn Crosier, Word MVP is offline

Default Word 2007 Paragraph numbering/restart numbering; Legal doc

Heidi -

In your first level - Type the word Part and then add a number style to
it. "1". I would also associate this level with a Heading style. The
text Part 1 will then automatically be applied, and it will not be
necessary to manually change from "1" to "2" when you get to that point
in your document.

Then level two can use the numbering from the first level to "1.1."
Level three can be "1.1.1."
Etc.

Then when you change to Part 2
Level two = 2.1.
Level three = 2.1.1.

--
Dawn Crosier
Microsoft MVP

"That70sHeidi" wrote in message
:

Firstly, Dawn, thank you thank you!! for pointing out the multilevel list
command! It's what I've been searching for in 2007 and not finding.

However, I've run into a problem using it.

I've set up my styles for the proper indents, caps, etc. I added the
multilevel numbering, then "update the style to current selection" to add the
numbering into the style. Which is awesome. However, I noticed my numbering
isn't set up right.

I need to create my document so that the last number in the sequence updates
for each section, until I go back to the previously defined style. It should
look as such:

PART 1 - GENERAL (I've defined this as a blank 'restart' style and it
works!!!!)
1.1 TITLE
1.1.1 Subsection Title
1.1.1.1 Subsection Text
Texty text sometimes in here, not numbered.
1.1.1.2 Subsection Text
1.1.1.3 Subsection Text
1.1.1.3.1 Super Subsection Text
1.1.1.3.2 Super Subsection Text
1.1.1.4 Subsection Text
1.1.2 Subsection Title
PART 2 - PRODUCTS
2.1 TITLE
2.1.1 Subsection Title
2.2 TITLE
2.3 TITLE

I can't seem to get the multilevel list to do that. I added a plain number
to the end of the "grayed out" "Enter formatting for number" box which
apparently means that number never changes - 1.2.1 becomes 1.2.2.1 on the
next level (should be 1.2.1.1). I tried to copy/paste the gray number but
that doesn't work.

This all worked more or less just fine in the last version of Word, but now
I can't seem to find the old way of doing it, if it still exists, and all the
MVP help documents say it's the wrong way anyway. Help is appreciated, this
is a frequently used template here at work, and to be able to set it up for
2007 as a template that WORKS would be amazing.

Thanks!

"Dawn Crosier, Word MVP" wrote:

Here's what works for me....

I then click the down arrow next to the multilevel list command in the
Paragraph Group and select "Define New Multilevel List" (You will also use
this same command to make changes to the list.)

In the Define new Multilevel list dialog box, click the More button so you
can use the Link level to style. Be sure to modify your number positions so
that they do not conflict with what you defined in the paragraph dialog of
your style.

Click OK.

Now, when you apply the First Level style to your paragraph it should start
off with 1. When you apply the Second Level style it should start with an A
and continue with B, etc. When mark another paragraph with First Level then
it should be a 2 and Second Level should start over with an A. (See below)

1. First Level
A. Second Level
B. Second Level
2. First Level
A. Second Level
i. ThirdLevel
ii. ThirdLevel
B. SecondLevel
3. FirstLevel

--
Dawn Crosier
Microsoft MVP

This message was posted to a newsgroup, Please post replies and questions
to the group so that others can learn as well.
"Sam" HYPERLINK "Sam@discussi ons.microsoft.com wrote in message
I thought I understood paragraph numbering, but W2007 is vexing me. Here is
what I want:
-numbered paragraphs that automatically number the next paragraph
-to restart the numbering several times in the document
-paragraphs to be first-line indented, not hanging

I knew how to do it in prior Word, but W2007 reverts to hanging paragraphs
when I try to do Restart Numbering, and then won't restart the numbering
anyway. It is driving me crazy. I cannot get it to restart numbering. I
tried
applying List 2, I tried creating a new style, but none of it seems to work.
What do I have to do?

Checked by AVG Free Edition.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
9/25/2007 8:02 AM