Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default Default formatting after carriage return?

If you are using manual formatting CTRL+Space will restore the underlying
paragraph style. You may also have a keyboard shortcut assigned to the
normal style.

Steevo999 wrote:
Thanks for your quick response, Graham.

However this does not achieve the effect I am after.

If I am typing in bold etc. etc. at the end of a line and then hit
Carriage Return then the same formatting continues on the new line
until manually deselected. A little tedious sometimes.

I thought there was a way of hitting Carriage Return with some other
key combination that prevented this and reverted the new paragraph to
the default page formatting...

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

Each paragraph has a style attribute which includes the name of the
style that should follow it (when you press Enter). Usually this is
set to the same style (though with heading styles it is often the
main body text). The behaviour therefore is dictated by the style at
the cursor.

You can additionally press SHIFT+Enter which will create a line
break WITHIN the same paragraph.

Steevo999 wrote:
When you hit the carriage return key at the end of a paragraph Word
carries over the existing formatting to the new line/paragraph.

Great, usually!

I think there is a key sequence which allows you to hit carriage
return (soft carriage return?) and start the new line/paragraph with
the default document formatting.

Can anyone confirm this and tell me what it is. I cannot find a
reference to it anywhere, now.

Thanks, Steve.