Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Alisande

Default Paragraph Shading Extending to Page Break Lines

I just tried that and it inserted not one, but four, blank pages before the
paragraph.

This is not a document I created, and it's been edited by someone else
before it got to me, all three of us using different versions of Word (BTW,
I'm using Office XP - Word 2002). Could that be contributing to the problem?

Or - is there a way to view the underlying formatting codes so that I can
try to troubleshoot what's happening here?

Thank you for your help.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Instead of inserting a manual page break, format the paragraph after the
desired break point as "Page break before."

"Alisande" wrote in message
I have several places in a document I'm creating where I have used 3
paragraphs - the top & bottom lines blank, the middle one containing white
text - which I have formatted to be shaded (using format, borders &

shading,
paragraph), to serve as "title" headings for various sections of the
document.

I am having problems when I try to insert a page break just prior to the
shaded text. What happens is that the "page break" line on the page above
the shaded text also appears as a shaded bar. When I highlight only that
line and try to remove the paragraph shading, the shading is also deleted
from the three paragraphs on the next page that I do want to appear

shaded.

I am sure that it is due to something really simple that I can change, but
have not been able to figure out what it is. I did devise a "workaround"

by
inserting a line just above the paragraphs I want shaded and reducing the
font size to very small, and then removing the shading from that paragraph
(which I can do - it's only the page break that affects those below it)

but
it seems like there should be an easier/better way to do it.

Can you help me fix this problem - or tell me if there is an alternate way
to format my title sections to avoid the issue altogether?

Thanks!