Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Default Formatting Symbols

In that Tools Options View dialog, check or uncheck only the "Hidden
text" box.

The ¶ button is a shortcut for checking and unchecking the "All" box, which
is not what you want.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

ff999 wrote:
I'm an infrequent user of Word (2002) and have a problem with
hiding/showing data in a table.

I'm hiding data in some of the table cells and when I click on the
"Show" symbol (which looks like a "pi" symbol), the data shows up but
so do some other formatting symbols. The symbols are round with 4
"posts" sticking out of them. Apparently the symbols are called
"cell markers" and appear in every cell, including blank ones.

I want to be able to hide and then show the hidden data in the cells
but not the cell markers. I've tried going in
"Tools-Options-View-Formatting Marks" and removing all check marks
but without success.

Any suggestions on how to show the hidden data but not the formatting
symbols?