View Single Post
  #2   Report Post  
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: why is link to previous button in my header/footer bar grayed out

The "Link to Previous" button in the header/footer bar is grayed out when you have multiple sections in your document and the headers/footers in those sections are not connected. This means that the header/footer in the current section is not linked to the header/footer in the previous section.

To enable the "Link to Previous" button, you need to make sure that the headers/footers in all sections are connected. Here's how you can do it:
  1. Go to the first section of your document and double-click on the header/footer area to open it.
  2. Check if the "Link to Previous" button is enabled. If it's not, click on it to enable it.
  3. Go to the next section of your document and double-click on the header/footer area to open it.
  4. If the "Link to Previous" button is enabled, click on it to disable it.
  5. Make any changes you need to the header/footer in this section.
  6. Go to the next section of your document and repeat steps 4-5 until you reach the end of your document.

By following these steps, you should be able to connect all the headers/footers in your document and enable the "Link to Previous" button in the header/footer bar.