Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
C. Moya C. Moya is offline

Default Documents opening in multiple instances, I want one instance

Not sure about OneNote... but all those use "subtabs" to show different
sections of the same document. It's not a "Tabbed Document Interface" where
each document is shown as a tab in the parent window.

FrontPage does use a Tabbed Document Interface. As does Access 2007 (with
'07 format databases I think). Visual Studio .NET also uses tabs. In
addition it also represents document "sections" (like Excel's multiple
worksheets) using buttons at the bottom of the window. In fact, Visual
Studio has one of the nicest interfaces I've ever seen (even if 2005 is on
the buggy side).

--
-C. Moya
www.cmoya.com
"JoAnn Paules [MVP]" wrote in message
I was going to respond that some of the Office applications do use tabs.
Excel, OneNote, Visio all use them.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

"Greg Maxey" wrote in message
oups.com...
What are you grousing about? What is stopping you from forming you own
software company? After you take that first step you can have the helm
and steer your tanker on any course you desire.

wrote:
So I take it by your reply that tabs are not available. This is
stupid. MS is asking for someone to eat their lunch, and I hope
someone does, soon. I'm tired of waiting for the tanker to turn to get
what are very obvious, simple improvements in ubiquitious applications.

C. Moya wrote:
Office is in dire need of tabs. I seriously expected Office 2007 to
improve
on the window management aspects... it frustratingly has not. You're
right--
it's 2006! Come on people!
The inconsistent use of MDI between apps (contrast Word's *real SDI*
Excel and PowerPoint's *fake SDI* MDI confusing hybrid) is downright
horrendous. A nice tabbed interface would solve everything.

--
-C. Moya
www.cmoya.com

wrote in message
oups.com...
No, what I mean is tabbed pages, like how Firefox and Opera browsers
display numerous web pages - with tabs at the top.

The way that Word makes you go under the "Window" menu to select
other
documents that you have open is kind of ridiculous, considering this
is
2006.

Stefan Blom wrote:
What tabs? If you mean tab stops, look in Format | Tabs to set tab
stops for the currently selected paragraph(s). For more, see
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/SettingTabs.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

wrote in message
ups.com...
That worked, thanks a lot.

Now, are there tabs in Word 2003?

Stefan Blom wrote:
On the Tools menu, click Options. Click the View tab. Clear the
"Windows in taskbar" option.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

wrote in message
ups.com...
I recently upgraded from Word 97 to Word 2003. I have a
feeling
this
is an easy fix, so here goes.

Every time I open a new Word document (i.e. double clicking
on
an
email
attachment, double clicking on a file in a folder), Word
opens a
new
instance of the application. What I was used to with Word 97
was
new
documents opening in a new window, in the same instance of
Word.
want this functionality back.

Also, as an aside, when is Word going to get with the program
and
have
tabs for documents rather than making us deal with the stupid
'Window
- Arrange All'?