Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
p0 p0 is offline

Default How can I make a custom bibliography style?

On 10 sep, 19:46, chrog wrote:
I continue to have more questions on organizing a new biliographic style in
Word. *These posts have answered every question so far, but I am not sure if
it good etiquette to keep asking more questions here. *(If it isn't I am
sorry).

Public forums are a better place to get your questions answered than
private communication. Besides, others get to comment on or extend the
solutions you got or might even benefit from them. So this is a good
place.

1) I need to change the title of the automatic bibliography from Bibliography to References. *

You can't. It is a built-in gallery. But that's not a problem, beneath
the built-in galeries ('Bibliography' and 'Works Cited') there is a
menu-item called 'Insert Bibliography'. This will insert a
bibliography without any title. Then above your bibliography, you can
put 'References' or whatever you want.

2) *I need to get rid of all the italics on the Titles and volume numbers.
(actually everywhere)

All italic information is set by the template called
ApplyItalicTitleNS. The function has two outcomes depending on a fixed
variable indicating if it should use italics or not. If it is not
allowed to use italics, it still formats title by adding opening and
closing stuff like quotation marks. If you are certain that you don't
want anything italic in your stylesheet and you don't want the
alternative formatting, you can just erase the functionality of that
template by replacing it with:

xsl:template name="ApplyItalicTitleNS"
xslaram name="data" /

xsl:copy-of select="msxsl:node-set($data)" /

/xsl:template

If you do want the alternative formatting, you might try changing:

xsl:variable name="prop_NoItalics"
xsl:call-template name="templ_prop_NoItalics"/
/xsl:variable

into:

xsl:variable name="prop_NoItalics"
xsl:value-of select="'no'"/
/xsl:variable

This might give a strange effect on volumes though. If that is still
not what you want, you will have to go over every call to the
ApplyItalicTitleNS template and decide if you should make the call or
not. A lot more editing work, but still doable.

3) Journal volumes should never be place inside parentheses

They never are for journals. If you are still working from the APA
style, volume numbers of journals should be in italic (or just plain
after your previous question), not in brackets. Are you talking about
issue numbers for journals (and periodicals)? Or are you talking about
book sections where the volume number is between brackets together
with a lot of other information? And in case of the latter, does that
information has to remain inside the brackets or not?

4) The informaiton about a book chapter needs to be reversed. *That is in
stead of

Smith, John. 2008. *Good Bibliographies. In Jane Doe (Ed.) Academic
Scholarship. *etc.

I need

Smith, John. 2008. Good Bibliographies. *Academic Scholarship, ed. by Jane
Doe.etc.

Could you elaborate on the etc? Currently (apart from some punctuation
differences) it's actually:

Smith, John. 2008. Good Bibliographies. In Jane Doe (Ed.) Academic
Scholarship (Translator, edition, volume, pages). City, State,
Country, Publisher

Do you want the translator, edition, volume, pages information still
with the title (logically), or do you want it somewhere else as well?
So it could be

Smith, John. 2008. Good Bibliographies. Academic Scholarship, ed. by
Jane Doe. (Translator, edition, volume, pages). City, State, Country,
Publisher

but also

Smith, John. 2008. Good Bibliographies. Academic Scholarship
(Translator, edition, volume, pages), ed. by Jane Doe. City, State,
Country, Publisher

The latter being a lot less complex to achieve though they both can be
created. It might be easier if you could point me to an online manual
containing a description of the style you try to achieve.

Thanks for any responses and help.

On a side note, if you start making fundamental changes, you should
consider writing a style from scratch rather than trying to patch up
existing material.

Yves