Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Lori H. Lori H. is offline

Default Text Box Moving

sorry, it's working fine for me (Word 2007).

Maybe you can figure it out by playing with page layoutaligngrid settings?
Personally I've never mastered working with the grid, but there are options
there for "snap to other objects" and "snap to grid" so maybe someone knows
how to utilize that feature(?)

Sorry I couldn't be of help.

"Guy Lydig" wrote:

Lori,
Try creating a table with 5 columns and 3 rows. Then Insert a fairly narrow
Text box
OUT of the frame. Set the Layout to In Front of Text. Now try using the
arrow keys to move the text box and you will get an idea what I mean.

"Lori H." wrote:

Textbox displacing text sounds like the box propertieslayout is "in-line
with text" - this could also explain the movement issues, b/c the box is
"snapping" to a place where it is in-line with text (or would-be text, as in
the case of a hard return used for spacing). If youused the "proper
convention" for spacing between paragraphs (paragraph properties), the box
won't sit in that blank space unless you have set it's properties to a
specific distance relative to paragraph.

"Guy Lydig" wrote:

My original question: Can someone please explain the seemingly random
movement of textbooks or drawing objects when moved using the mouse or the
arrow keys.

I still do not have an answer to this.

In regard to the previous posts in this thread:

I would like to thank everyone for your responses. Doug, I explained in an
earlier post that I was trying to avoid measuring each column's vertical and
horizontal position which is why I did not want to use the Advanced button on
the Layout tab of the Format Text Box dialog box.

I solved the problem like this:
After I created the table, I zoomed so the entire table appeared on screen.
After taking a screen shot, pasting in a new doc and cropping it as needed, I
copied and pasted the picture in a Header in the document with the table.
(Apparently, in a Header, pictures can take up the entire page but tables can
only take up half a page.) Another strange Word anomaly.

I then resized both "tables" so they were identical. In the real table, I
removed all borders and text. Then I merged each column individually so each
one wraps.

DONE. I don't even want to look at this again.

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

I would suggest that you position and size the textbox by using the Format
Text Box dialog and for the position, click on the Advanced button on the
Layout tab.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"Guy Lydig" wrote in message
Please explain the seemingly inexplicable movement of text boxes.

I have a table with 7 columns and 21 rows. I want to place a text box over
each column and size and align it exactly with the underlying column. (We
are
planning on using Dragon Naturally Speaking to enter text and I want text
wrap properly without making the rows grow.)

Why, oh why, when I use the mouse or the arrows to move the text box by
clicking its border first, does the text box have a mind of its own.
Sometimes when I press the down arrow it goes down and sometimes it goes
up.
If I use the mouse to move it up/down a fraction of an inch, it sometimes
moves much more. I have tried using the Advanced Settings but I clearly
don't
know what I am doing--and the ? is less than helpful.

Also, sometimes the text box displaces text in the table while other times
it does not.

If someone can help me understand this behavior, I would be extremely
grateful.