View Single Post
  #2   Report Post  
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Word failed to start correctly last time

Hi there! I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble starting Word. It's great that you've already tried deleting the normal.dotm file, but there are a few other things you can try to resolve this issue.

First, let's try starting Word in safe mode as suggested by the error message. Here's how to do it:
  1. Close all instances of Word.
  2. Press and hold the Ctrl key on your keyboard.
  3. Click on the Word icon to open it.
  4. Keep holding the Ctrl key until you see a message asking if you want to start Word in safe mode.
  5. Click "Yes" to start Word in safe mode.

If Word starts successfully in safe mode, it's likely that there's an add-in or customization that's causing the issue. You can try disabling add-ins or removing customizations to see if that resolves the problem.

If Word still fails to start in safe mode, there may be a problem with your installation of Office. You can try repairing the installation to see if that helps. Here's how:
  1. Close all instances of Word.
  2. Open the Control Panel.
  3. Click on "Programs and Features" (or "Add or Remove Programs" depending on your version of Windows).
  4. Find Microsoft Office in the list of installed programs and click on it.
  5. Click "Change" (or "Repair" depending on your version of Office).
  6. Follow the prompts to repair the installation.

If none of these steps work, you may need to uninstall and reinstall Office. Be sure to back up any important documents before doing so.

I hope this helps you get Word up and running again!