Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Charles Kenyon

Default template with editable and non-editable areas

What you are talking about is what Word calls an "online form." Check this
in help. For more about online forms, follow the links at
http://addbalance.com/word/wordwebresources.htm#Forms or
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...nTheBlanks.htm especially Dian
Chapman's series of articles. You may also want to look at
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFl...nesInForms.htm.

You could use one or more form fields inside a border for your boxed area or
you could use a separate section for your boxed area. Word 2003 has some
other options but the entire document becomes uneditable when opened in an
earlier version.

Hope this helps,
--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.
"Paul" wrote in message
I am trying to create a template with a header (+logo), footer and boxed
area in the centre for editable text. I have basically finished the layout,
but cannot work out how to make the header, footer and the box-shape
un-editable vs.the area inside the box editable. I would be grateful if
anyone can either give me some advice or point me to a tutorial that could
give me help on editable and protected areas of a template document.
Thanks in advance
Paul