Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel

Default Scrambled word doc

Don't say you can't afford to lose it, because chances are you HAVE lost it.
However, try the following --

1. Open the file with Notepad. The first eight characters should be:
.ࡱ. -- If not, the document is corrupt. However the text might still
be visible.

2. Check that you have 'Word document' showing in the Files of Type list on
the File Open dialog.

3. Try opening the document with 'Retrieve text from any file' selected in
Files of Type.

For future reference, it was most likely the act of saving the document
directly to CD that did the damage. NEVER do this. Save the document to your
hard disk, close it, then use Explorer or your burner software to move it to
CD. And vice versa to read it.

"Tetchypete" wrote in message
Hi,
I recently tried to save a password protected word document onto a CD.
When
I tried to open it on the cd it came up as random letters/ symbols like
8x?lTfs5x '{~G(3hmh(ڐَyA s$ vS
8-"i qw?'"U&)B88s0{ҪP*~=".[LO5O @IpM38ĪS~t2ZlYR+~
Z?'^v"8?Da)ߦ?{=s j_t 7T^3O"EI 7iaQ`3܎u5F{zA_ vԾx {
05% v FS-T_L65
ρO-
"[o
~q? y Q
:U IkHް [7 $, ?*iG sO " ?2,cyt ˲4-9 )f: ; nS@
ŽiQl-OkЯ @kk HYU 5
f S{Ф,pB]yfs'}b%?
Y`LJ^S oF=IFi2Wx ch͞? Yy'j*"_5f@ Ns"̴1N~8 X
+igIYB +"n e`  "?6 ? ?" Dw TtOC;M" )U5
nmSd:js*=e

Then when I tried to open the original on my pc it was the same! When I
open
it, it no longer asks me for a password. What has gone wrong?? The
document
contained some information which I can't really afford to lose.

Any help would be gratefully received.