EamonX1

to solve the problem using Word. However in the meantime I found a simple
solution to my immediate problem. I opened the document using WordPad and
found that in Wordpad (as in Notepad - but not in Word 2000) it is possible
to paste into the Find (and Replace) dialog box. So I was able to using Find
and Replace (in Wordpad) to remove the unwanted symbol.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MacrosVBA/...aceSymbols.htm

"EamonX1" wrote in message
I am using Word 2000 SR1. I have very lengthy document in Encoded Text
format, with New Courier font. A symbol (small box-like) occurs throughout
the document. It signifies quotation marks. When saved as a Word document

the
symbol remains. I want to change this symbol into New Courier quote marks.
Since it occurs several thousand times in the document I do not wish to do

it
manually. I want to make the exchange automaticaly using Word's Find and
Replace Function. However I find I cannot get the symbol into the Find

box. I
cannot copy from the text and then paste it into the box? Also the Insert
Symbol function (either by clicking on Insert or using a Key code) will

not
put the symbol into the Find box. Help needed here.