Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
BARRY BARRY is offline

Default Automatically totaling a column in a table

Forgive me, Samantha. The method I described in my previous post is for
Escel. I forgot we were talking about Word here.

Is it not possible or convenient to enter a zero into the otherwise blank
cells? If you did that, the Auto Sum feature would work, of course.

You could write a macro that would check each cell in the range. If it
found a number it would add it to the sum. If the cell were ampty (or held
anything other than a number), it would be skipped. This is not something
you can do by recording keystrokes, however; you would need to do some VB
programming. Besides, the result would be a macro, not unlike
Tools/Calculate of Auto Sum, which the user would have to activate after
entering the numbers.

If you really want to a column of numbers that automatically recalculats its
total when the user adds or changes its contents, then you should use Excel.
Is that a problem for you
--
Barry Carroll

(Cleverly disguised as a trained SW engineer.)
---------
Datalogic Scanning, Inc. assumes no responsibility whatsoever for any
statements made by me. I''m entirely on my own here.

"Barry" wrote:

Hello, Samantha:

If by "auto sum feature", you mean the Sum function, you can use it to total
a partially filled in column of figures. I just tried it and it works fine.
Just select a numeric format from the "Number" tab of the "Format Cells"
dialog box and use the formula

=SUM(Xn:Xm)

where

"X" is the column number and
"n" and m are the start and end rows of your set of numbers.

The blank cells are simply treated as zeros. (SUM can handle rows,
discontinuous ranges and multiple ranges in a single formula.

HTH

--
Barry Carroll

(Cleverly disguised as a trained SW engineer.)
---------
Datalogic Scanning, Inc. assumes no responsibility whatsoever for any
statements made by me. I''m entirely on my own here.

"Samantha" wrote:

I have a template in which I need the last column totaled. I cannot use the
atuo sum feature because not all of the rows will always be filled. I know I
can use the Tools Calculate feature, but since this form is going out to many
people, I was hoping that there would be a way to do it automatically, so
there is no chance of people forgetting how to do it. I cannot figure out
how to create a macro to do it for me.