Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Tom Conrad Tom Conrad is offline

Default Automatically totaling a column in a table

Samantha,

The following reply is copied from a reply to a similar question

Question: How to input formulas into a sales invoice tamplet from Word?
Posted by: Rosy3392
Posted 7/11/2007

Tom C replied:

Take a look at the following article:
Article: How to get a formula field to total an entire table column, even if
some cells in the column contain text or are blank.

Article By Dave Rado
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFldsFms/TotalColumn.htm

This article suggests two methods to achieve the effect you desire within
Word without embedding an Excel spreadsheet. Both methods use a mixture of
bookmarks and field codes.

The numbers to be summed are placed in a data table (Table01), and the
formulae are placed into a summation table.

The tables are separated by a blank paragraph. The article specifies a line
height for the paragraph. I would also recommend the font size should be set
to 1pt.

The total numbers of rows in table 01 can be varied with out disrupting the
formulae.

Tom C

--
Tom Conrad

"Samantha" wrote:

I have a template in which I need the last column totaled. I cannot use the
atuo sum feature because not all of the rows will always be filled. I know I
can use the Tools Calculate feature, but since this form is going out to many
people, I was hoping that there would be a way to do it automatically, so
there is no chance of people forgetting how to do it. I cannot figure out
how to create a macro to do it for me.