Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kenneth Kenneth is offline

Default Word points to wrong NORMAL.DOT...?

On Fri, 22 Sep 2006 08:15:20 -0400, Kenneth
wrote:

Hi again Jay,

I have had things on my former system set up this way for a
l-o-n-g time and so I will have to tell you what I believe
happened rather than what I recall specifically:

I used to use word by leaving Normal.dot in its default
position. Over time, I added macros etc.

Then, at some point, Normal.dot became corrupt.

I had to rebuild things.

At that point, I realized that I would be better off if I
kept it in a location other than the default, and so I moved
it.

Then, when I launched Word, it created a new Normal.dot in
the default location.

At that point, I realized that I needed to tell Word where
to look for the template I wanted to use and so I modified
the File Location setting.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Also, could you tell me something more about why the history
of all this would matter? What might be going on that would
cause you to ask.

Also might you tell me what the deal is with the two
different Normal.dot files appearing in the dropdown, that
is the "Global template" and the "Template"?

Sincere thanks for any further thoughts,
--
Kenneth

Hi again Jay,

I believe that I have this resolved (though, in truth, I
don't understand what's going on.)

I modified the "Startup" folder, and now, when I launch
Word, it uses the correct Normal.dot.

I'll keep you posted if there is anything further on this,
but really did appreciate your help,
--
Kenneth