Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
r frank r frank is offline

Default Font styles not fully recognized in Word

CyberTaz:

Thanks... that's the direction I wanted to head, and it sounds like a viable
solution.
However, can you describe for me how you actually change or rename the way
Word looks at that font or names it?

When I go into Wordformatfonts it still shows "font" as ITC Stone Serif
and the "font style" "regular" ... Can I change that label from regular to
something else? If not, InDesign keeps looking for a font with that label
then says it's unable to locate that font, and want you to specify a
substitution. And you have to go through that process everytime you place a
piece of copy... and we place hundreds with each issue.

Maybe I'm missing what you're saying ... We have a multitude of "mapped
styles" in our Word template file... but in the end they still come up
showing as using a Stone Serif or San Serif "regular" when I import or place
them into InDesign.
It appears to the be the set default label in Word.

Sorry if I missed what you were saying earlier.

Thanks in advance for your time and insights.

Bob Frank
Washington State University
http://www.wsutoday.wsu.edu

--
Robert Frank, editor
WSU Today
Washington State University

"CyberTaz" wrote:

Hi Robert -

I don't claim to be an expert here, but this may be one approach. I believe
the problem stems from the fact that Word *isn't* particularly strong in the
typography department combined with the fact that you are dealing with
variants within the same font family - Word recognizes the _family_ but not
the _variants_ within it.

What if you create character styles in Word with names that identify which
variant they are "supposed" to be - such as StoneSemi - regardless of how
Word actually sees them... the style could be formatted as Comic Sans for
that matter. Second, create a corresponding char. style in ID that specs the
*correct* typeface & map the 'phony' Word style to it.

I don't have Stone, but I did a quick test with Lucida Sans Demibold &
Demibold Italic. The 2 char styles I created in Word were *exactly the same*
except for their name, using Lucida Sans regular. I then created 2 char
styles in ID, one spec'd as LSDb, the other spec'd as LSDbI, mapped
accordingly & it seemed to work fine when I did the import.

--
HTH |:)
Bob Jones

"r frank" wrote in message
I'm hoping you can help with a nagging font problem.

Washington State University has an Adobe font family called Stone that is
the standard for our university -- it includes bold, semibold, medium,
italic, etc. I edit a publication that we write in MS Word then we pull
the
copy into InDesign to design the publication.

We "mapped" created a "styles and formats" pallete in Word, but Word won't
recognize all the Stone font styles or accurately label them. Primary
Example: it doesn't recognize the Stone "medium" or Stone "semibold"
fonts.
Instead, Word labels the medium font as Stone "regular".

So, when we bring our files into InDesign, InDesign says it can't find the
"regular" font. So, we have to identify and redirect the fonts. Then, we
have to highlight the text in articles, and use the InDesign style sheet
convert them into the correct typeface.

It's all quite time consuming.

QUESTION: Is there a way to adjust Word so it can recognize and use all
the
Stone fonts.... especially Stone medium font -- and NOT relabel medium as
"regular"... (or totally ignore the semibold font)."

Thanks in advance for your help
--
Robert Frank, editor
WSU Today