Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP on news.microsoft.com Doug Robbins - Word MVP on news.microsoft.com is offline

Default RTF Mail Merge Fields

For any more than the formatting that can be applied by use of Word field
formatting switches, I think that you would have to use a "roll-your-own"
equivalent to mailmerge where in place of a mail merge main document
containing mergefields, you would use a template containing docvariable
fields and then you would run a macro that would create a new document from
that template for each record in data source, setting the values of
variables in the document to the value of corresponding field for that
record in the data source and making use of the formatting information in
the data source to apply the required formatting.

For information on Word field formatting switches, see "Formatting Word
fields with switches" on fellow MVP Graham Mayor's website at:

Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"Vic" wrote in message
Hello,

I am trying to setup a mail merge and use rtf text fields from a database.
These rtf fields contain the formatting instructions for bolding, bullets,
font settings etc. However, the problem I am having is word does not
recognize these formatting characters and prints everything as plain text.
My main document is an rtf file.

How can I get word to interpretate these instructions? I am using Word
2002.

Thank you,

Vic