Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Default Manage Styles window query

I do recall that Word 97 (the first version that I used) had 10 pt TNR as
the default font. But I would expect the Manage Styles dialog box to show 12
pt as the default for documents whose Normal style was modified to 12 pt.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Beth Melton" wrote in message
The Document Defaults are displaying accurate information. They reflect
the defaults that were used when the document was created. Since Tom is
seeing Times New Roman 10 points then I'd say he's looking at document
created in a version of Word prior to Word 2000. It was in Word 2000 the
default was changed to TNR 12.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Coauthor of Word 2007 Inside Out:

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message
This is not uncommon when you are opening an existing document or
template
created in an earlier version of Word. The Set Defaults tab does not seem
accurately reflect the settings of the open file. However, the current
style definitions are available on the Edit tab of the Manage Styles
dialog box.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Tom Smith" wrote in message
Word 2007 under windows XP

I'm just getting around to looking at features in the new Word version.

I've happened onto the Manage Styles window, which has 4 tabs. My
question
is: What does the Set Defaults tab pertain to? I've opened a document in
template I use, with Times New Roman @ 13. So far so good. When I
happened
into the Set Defaults tab, it shows TMR @ 10 points. I simply cancelled
out of it, but am wondering what its relationship is to the style of the
open document--or others.

Has anyone puzzled this out? Many thanks. Tjom