Pete Benson Pete Benson is offline
Junior Member

The suggested character, Unicode number 0216, is actually the Danish/Norwegian letter (upper-case) "Ř", the letter "O" with a bar through it. This character is close enough to be understood as the diameter symbol, but is not quite the same. The diameter symbol is a perfectly round circle with a bar through it, while the letter is somewhat oblong. For professional-looking documents (which I need, being a translator), we need the real symbol.

I came across the symbol in question in a Russian document (so I know it exists in the Unicode set); copied that and used that to create an Autocorrect workaround in Microsoft Office docs. But I want to add the symbol to my keyboard, using a keyboard modification program that I have. To do so, I need the Unicode number of the symbol—but Microsoft is keeping that a deep, dark secret, it seems, since the symbol does not appear in the "Add Symbol" character set, as far as I can tell (hence all the questions here and in other forums about how to create the symbol).

So, can someone please tell me the Unicode number for the diameter symbol (not the upper-case letter "Ř")? Thanks much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dper View Post
If you want an uppercase, hold down the ALT key and type "0216". If you
want lowercase, hold down the ALT key and type "0248".
Note that the lowercase "phi" is the official Diameter symbol and the
upper case version is the null set symbol.

Paul cronk wrote:
* *

--
Dper