Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Default data source with 508 fields

I thought from your earlier post that if you checked the "Confirm
conversions at open" box, that you could open the file.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Christoph Arnold" wrote in message
The file looks like this (with 3 of the 508 fields):

"KUN_Betriebsnummer";"KUN_Branche";"KUN_Bundesland "
"";"";"Niedersachsen"

so nothing special. It's strange that even opening just the file (without
being a mailmerge datasource) doesn't work correctly with word 2003/2007.

Christoph Arnold

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Most MS datasources (Excel, Access) have this limit. It should not exist
with a .csv (text) file.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Christoph Arnold" wrote in message
Thanks for your quick response!

- I tried with confirm conversion - word opens it as a normal textfile.
- Disabling the virus checker didn't change the behaviour.
- When we reported it to MS (two weeks ago), we were told that we can't
have more than 256 fields as a datasource for mailmerge, but this week
we saw (on http://support.microsoft.com/kb/294688/de) that it should be
possible to use more fields (we reported this - and the fact that
opening just the file fails - again, but still waiting for a
response...)

Christoph Arnold

"Peter Jamieson" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
I would try the following:
a. check Word Tools|Options|General|"Confirm conversion at open" and
try opening the file again. Please note what format Word thinks it is
trying to open
b. if you have a virus checker enabled and are in a position to disable
it temporarily, try doing that then opening the file.

If necessary report the problem to Microsoft through their support
incident mechanism (on their website) if you cannot get it to work
(other people here may offer suggestions, but we are just volunteers).

Peter Jamieson
"Christoph Arnold" wrote in message
I'm trying to use a textfile (with 508 fields) as a datasource for
mailmerge.

In Word 2000 this file works, but the same file used in Word 2003/2007
doesn't work (the dot, that uses this file as a datasource is loaded
and shown in word, then word hangs / cursor stands still / no reaction
on keyboard/mouse )

The same happens, when I open just the textfile with word! No problem
with Word 2000, Wordpad, Notepad... but hangs when opened with Word
2003/2007.

Thanks for any help!

Christoph Arnold