TF

Windows XPP has a service for securely connecting across the Internet to an
Office Network called VPN (Virtual Private Networking). I don't believe that
you can do that with WinXP Home edition (though I may be wrong). Also, if
you get XPH, you won't be able to log in to a work Domain. There are
workarounds for this, but it means you have to leave a security hole in your
Work domain. Unless your work network is also a dinosaur, I would recommend
XPP.

Terry

"sf" wrote in message
oups.com...
: Many thanks Terry! Dual channel is a no brainer, in that case....
: especially considering that a 2 or 3 year old computer is considered
: brand new in my household. We keep them 5-7 years, until they die or
: the OS is a complete dinosaur - whatever comes first.
:
: Now I have to find out if I will be able to use the remote access part
: of XP pro to access my work computer from home. If I can, it's worth
: the $$$. If I can't, I'll stick with the XP Home version.... unless
: there's another compelling reason to go with Pro.
:
: ``````````````````````````
: TF wrote:
: Simple answer: because it doubles your memory speed.
:
: Explanation: memory chips are pretty much limited to running at
: 200MHz. By
: some clever architecture changes made my the RAM manufacturers, it is
:
: possible to both write and read in the same clock cycle, so the
: memory
: modules effectively run at 400MHz. This is still half the speed of
: the
: processor bus (800MHz) and is a bottleneck to processor performance.
: So by
: changing the method of addressing the memory, it is possible to run
: two
: memory modules on a single 800MHz bus, alternately addresses each
: module per
: clock cycle - Dual Channel!
:
: What's it worth in raw performance: 12% for very little additional
: investment (if you want dual channel 512MB memory, you have to have 2
: x
: 256MB modules which are just a little more expensive that a single
: 512MB
: module). The processor also costs a little more but also get
: hyperthreading
: enabled on the processor which is worth up to 8% depending on what
: you are
: running.
:
: You may not think that you need all that extra power, but think two
: or three
: years ahead and you may find that the extra 12% wards off yet another
:
: replacement PC for an extra year.
:
: --
: Terry Farrell - Word MVP
: http://word.mvps.org/
:
: "sf" wrote in message
: oups.com...
: : Sorry about those empty posts. Don't know how they happened -
: Google
: : "groups" is a dark and mysterious process. I'm posting from Google
: : because my home computer died and I haven't decided on the options
: I
: : want for my new one.
: :
: : If anyone is in the mood to b helpful, I need advice about basic
: things
: : like dual channel SDRAM.
: : :/
: : I know what SDRAM is but why would "dual channel" be something I
: might
: : need/want?
: :
: : TIA