Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Ed Ed is offline

Default Is this possible...?

Read the VBA Help for the "Variable Object". Not that I'm trying to push
you off, but there's more there than what I can explain. Also do a Google
groups search through groups *word* for "docvariable". Basically, you set a
metadata variable in the document and assign it the value you want. Then
read it using the DOCVARIABLE field.

So something like this, perhaps.

Sub DocVarMySave()
Dim nowDate As Date ' today's date
Dim varMe As Variable ' the variable to hold your data
Dim strMe As String ' your data
strMe = "" ' initialize to an empty string
nowDate = Format(Date, "dd mmm yy")

'Loop through all vaiables in ActiveDocument
For Each varMe In ActiveDocument.Variables
If varMe.Name = "MySave" Then
strMe = "Last saved on " & nowDate & " by josi" ' replace with your
data
varMe.Value = strMe
End If
Next varMe

If strMe = "" Then ' no variable containing your data was found in this
doc
' create variable and assign your initials
ActiveDocument.Variables.Add Name:= "Last saved on " & nowDate & " by
josi" ' replace with your data
End If
End Sub

Then do a SaveAs.

Then if there is ever a question, you would insert a DOCVARIABLE field to
read it. Type Ctrl+F9 and the in between the braces put
DOCVARIABLE "MySave". If the date is not when the document properties last
shows it was saved, it's not yours.

This isn't the greatest method, I know. But maybe it will get you started
into something more helpful. Or perhpas an MVP will come along and give
better advice.

Cheers!
Ed

"ab" wrote in message
Now that sounds interesting! Yes, I have and run macros but could you
point me in the right direction to find out how to do this, please.

"Ed" wrote in message
If your work environment allows you to have and run macros, what you
could do is set up a special "SaveAs" macro that resides on your computer
which not only saves the document but creates a Document variable with
your name and the date of saving. You can't make the others change what
_they_ do, but ~you~ can do something different!

Ed

"josi" wrote in message
This may seem a very strange question but is something I have been
thinking
about for a while. This is the situation:

I work in an office as the only typist for several people. At the top of
letters is a reference made up of the initials, in upper case, of the
person
who has dictated (or handwritten) the letter followed by an oblique
stroke
and my initials (in lower case letters).

So far, so good. However, if I am absent for any reason, the people type
their own letters by using a previous document and Save As..., or even
type
a letter from scratch. They always use the same reference at the top of
the
letter (i.e. including my initials).

Apart from an element of pride (I confess!) as they aren't very accurate
typists, this can lead to confusion when at some future date, they query
something which I have supposedly typed.

What I would love to do is to find some way of unobtrusively indicating
in a
document when I have actually typed it. I have thought of entering
somethng
in the document properties but that wouldn't work when they use Save
As...

Any ideas, please?