Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Gordon Smith \(eMVP\)

Default Mail Merge from Excel - conditional field choice?

I'm working through my very first mail merge and have run into an issue
which I can't solve quickly by searching google and was hoping someone could
help. I'm an MVP but **not** a Word MVP. :-)

I would like to acheive the following in a single location in my mail merge
result (labels if you care). My data is in excel and among other data are
fields P1-P8 and J1-J8. I would like the merged result to be "the value of
P1 if it's not blank, otherwise the value of J1". I'll repeat for 2-8. I
saw that I can do "if the value of P1 is blank, use THIS text otherwise use
THAT text". I don't want conditional TEXT, I want conditional FIELD. Can
this be done?

Oh yeah - I would ideally like:
"and if using J1 use background color XX (not looked up - hard coded color
is fine)"

Thanks in advance

--
Gordon Smith (eMVP)