Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Ghost Track Changes

Intermittent issues, as I'm sure you know, are always the most difficult to
troubleshoot, especially if they're not even confined to a specific
document. One more wild stab: I don't suppose you have speech recognition
enabled? I've heard this sometimes picks up ambient noise (even internal
computer "noise") and generates false results.

"JStillings" wrote in message
lol - definitely not pressing CTRL+Shift+E. The only double clicking on

the
status bar is in an attempt to turn it off once I notice changes are being
tracked, and that is after I try turning off Track Changes by using the
Reviewing toolbar and through the menu.

As far as macros go, we do use several standard macros in our documents.
They were all created in Word 2000, and none of them involve turning on or
off Track Changes. Unfortuantely, the phenomenom is not occuring
consistently across all documents using the macros. In fact, it is

happening
in documents that don't contain any macros.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

I agree that this is bizarre and seemingly inexplicable. I'll give you

the
benefit of assuming you're not pressing Ctrl+Shift+E inadvertently (much
less double-clicking TRK on the status bar), so it must be something

else.
Are there any unexplained macros in Tools | Macro | Macros?

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"JStillings" wrote in message
I have noticed something that I can only describe as "Ghost Track

Changes."
Many times, when I open a document my group created in Word 2000, Word
automatically begins tracking the changes in 2003 even when Track

Changes
is
NOT turned on. Read carefully, I didn't say "displays changes", I

said
"tracks changes".

Here's a scenario:

I open a file and see no changes highlighted even though I have "Final
showing markup" selected. I check to see (out of habit now) if Track

Changes
is turned on in the document, and it isn't. I start typing, and lo

and
behold, colored change bars, text, and balloons start appearing.

I am well familiar with Track Changes, how to turn it on and off, how

accept chages, hidden text, and all things like that. What I am not

familiar
with is the mysterious ability of Word to Track Changes even after all
changes have been accepted and Track Changes has been turned off

multiple
times.

Is there a solution for this?