Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Tony Tony is offline

Default Number only the Odd (or Even or Select) Pages

I am working on a training manual. When laid open, the Instructor's manual
will have the information on the right page with instructor notes on the left
page. Currently, all the Instructor information is hidden text. But this
leaves a blank page and I hate wasting paper.

So I hid the text AND the page breaks. This takes care of the blank page.
However, there is a page numbering discrepancy between the Instructor Guide
and the Student Guide. For example, the Instructor Guide starts with Page 1
of notes whereas the Student Guide starts Page 1 of text. It's the same text
that is page 2 of the Instructor Guide. Page 2 of the Student Guide is Page
4 of the Instructor Guide.

It goes like this:
.. . . . . . . Student . . . Instructor
Page 1 . Text . . . . . .Notes
Page 2 . Text . . . . . .Text (page 1)
Page 3 . Text . . . . . .Notes
Page 4 . Text . . . . . .Text (page 2)
et cetera

The problem becomes obvious when the Instructor tells the students to "turn
to page 27" which might actually be something like page 13 or 46 depending on
whose version you're looking at.

The solution I came up with was simple and elegant: do not number the
Instructor Notes pages. They don't need page numbers anyway. However, I
have not been able to figure out how to force Word to "skip" pages when
numbering. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Tony