Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
detobias detobias is offline

Default Track changes with multiple authors

Ok but then no way as the 'editor ' of the group to know whose comments are
whose by color?
Thanks !

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Well, yes and no. It doesn't make any difference what the others do. If you
select "By Author," you will see your markup and theirs in different colors.
If they select "By Author," they will also see different colors (but not
necessarily the same colors). If they choose a specific color, they will see
all the markup (by all the authors) in the same color.

The chief caveat is the unpredictability of "By Author." Just because you
see your markup as red on your computer, don't expect the others to see the
same thing. Most likely, they'll see *their* markup in red and theirs in
blue. But they could see different colors entirely. So just don't refer to
your markup as being a specific color because it will just confuse them.

http://word.mvps.org

"detobias" wrote in message
Thank you!
Are you saying each author on their machine chooses 'by author' in track
changes which show as red/blue on the tab? And on that way we three will
continue to have 3 separate colors?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

If you select a specific color, then all markup will be that color. Only
if
you select By Author will you see different colors, and you cannot choose
which color is used for which author. They will vary on different
machines,
so don't assume that because your markup is red on your machine it will
be
red on anyone else's. And no one else will see different colors unless
they
also have By Author selected; what you see is based entirely on the
settings
on your own machine, not what settings were in effect when the markup was
created.

http://word.mvps.org

"detobias" wrote in message
I did another test, in Tools, Options, I selected red for my deletions
and
insertions. The second author did the same as green. When she did it
on
her
Mac it came out green with my red. When I got it via email all was
red.
We
haven't sent it to 3rd author yet. I need to figure this out as we are
beginniing a book and i am the main editor for us 3! Please help!

"grammatim" wrote:

When you get it back from Author3, are only the colors the same, or
has the author identification (Username) also been leveled? If that's
what happened, then probably Computer 3 is set to remove author infor
from tracked changes (and apparently it can't be recovered).

On Jun 11, 1:56 pm, detobias
wrote:
I am Word 2003 and my co authors are Mac (3 authors in total).
Track
changes
is not working. When I track, changes come out in red. Second
author
came
out in blue. When third author commented, all changes were in green
which
makes editing very hard.
What can we do to solve this at the BEGINNING of our project?
I went into tools options and see you can set colors. Is that what
we
each
need to do (different colors). Is there anything about the PC/Mac
issue?
Thanks!