Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
David Hare-Scott David Hare-Scott is offline

Default Document growing huge for no good reason

Thankyou Stefan

I have tried that but it makes no difference. Also I found an article
saying to add a registry key to prevent two copies of each graphic object
from being saved. I then re-copied and pasted into a new document again,
and once more it makes no difference. The file is obstinately over 9 meg
when it started at 1.3 megs. I cannot reduce the size of the graphics
without reducing readability and in any case they are the same as the
smaller version of the file. Any other ideas?

David

Stefan Blom wrote:
If you copy and paste document content, minus the final paragraph mark
(¶) into a new document, does that improve the situation? Doing this
should get rid of "garbage" in the file.

Trying to reduce the size of the graphics would also be helpful of
course.

On 2012-01-27 01:17 (GMT+1), David Hare-Scott wrote:
I am not sure if this is the best NG for the question so please
correct me if it is not.

I have a two page Word document with text and some graphics. It is a
collaborative effort by several people so different versions of Word
are in use. When the first version came to me the file was about 1.3
meg. After several rounds of editing it had grown to 20 megs! It is
still the same two pages with the same graphics in it, nobody added
more graphics. I created a new document and copied and pasted everything
into it.
This reduced it to 9 megs. This is still giving problems as my mail
server is complaining when I send it to somebody. If transformed to
a PDF the file is about 600K.

How do I keep it in Word and shrink it back to the size that it
started and how do I prevent the problem again?

David