Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
C. Moya C. Moya is offline

Default Documents opening in multiple instances, I want one instance

"Robert M. Franz (RMF)" wrote in message
[I don't feel any need for tabs showing individual documents. Not worth
the loss in screen real estate IMHO, and Alt-Tab is quick enough.]

No arguments here. TDI and SDI should be a choice. All I know is that
regular MDI is all kinds of confusing, unintuitive, and it died 10 years
ago. It's one of the worst UI window paradigms ever (not just my opinion...
but pretty much every UI expert).

But _that_ approach I would like, using tabs in Word: say, in Normal View
only, getting one tab for each section. Navigating between them via GoTo
seems a lot more clumsy IMHO.

It's funny you mention that... I remember Lotus WordPro (AmiPro's successor)
back in 1996 had just that very feature. (I used AmiPro in college). It was
awesome. Word's Document Map alleviates some pains... but it could ohhhh so
be improved upon if they had the inspiration to do it and put a little
effort.

[The setting should be configurable, since it would make no sense at all
in a large merged letter, for instance :-)].

2cents
Robert