Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Greg Maxey[_2_] Greg Maxey[_2_] is offline

Default Equations in Word 2007 compatibility mode

Beth,

Thank you for sharing your opinion. Unfortunately, I fear that your tacit
approval of Peter's behaviour and style will only reinforce his arrogance
and embolden him to continue offering his biased opinions. It may even make
him more resolute in defending some of his answers that have been clearly
wrong.

I happen to agree with you on what Kassy (male of female) really wanted.
The answer almost step by step was provided in my first post associated with
this thread. While Peter is apparently schooled in a gazillion languages he
has a real problem with English. He either can't read it or he can't
comprehend what he reads. According to Peter, my only contribution to
answering Kassy's question was to repeat, about two days later, what I had
already said. Can we agree that is not true?

Personally I don't think Peter's motivation here is to help others nor do I
believe that he thinks there is anything that he doesn't already know.

Beth Melton wrote:
"Greg Maxey" wrote in
message ...
Beth,

Yes I am aware that the Ribbon will autoscale and that buttons in the
Symbols group of the Insert Tab are the first to do so. However, I
have been looking at the same Word Ribbon for nearly 3 years with
"normal" sized controls in that group and I didn't consider Peter's
screen resolution when I stated that the icons are "normal" sized as
compared to "large." That was an oversight, that was an error, I am
not infallible, I was wrong. Thank you for clearing that up.

Actually, to be a bit pedantic, the Symbols group is the second to
scale. The Links group scales first. But this begs the question, does
it really matter? Does it really matter how one describes the size of
a button? Does it really matter which group scales first? Perhaps it
does to the uber-geeks (and since I took the time to observe the
behavior I'm pretty sure that makes me an uber-geek, plus I'm
notorious for being pedantic --just ask Echo! grin) but I don't
think the majority of those who frequent this newsgroup care if a
button is described as "large" or "giant" or which group scales
first. The minute details really don't matter.
Now, someone lurking may have discovered the Ribbon does autoscale and
groups of buttons can stack and be reduced in size or display
horizontally with larger buttons depending on their screen size and
resolution as a result of this discussion. But in the end it has
nothing to do with the initial question and is a bit off-topic.

Since it is your opinion that in one case the icon may appear
"giant" even if a "giant" among other "giants," do you have an
opinion on what the OP actually wanted? Did he want Peter to point
out what may have been already obvious (a giant icon on the Ribbon)
or did he really want to know how to add his or her own controls to
the Ribbon? We may never know, but that is what the OP asked.

Well...since you asked for my opinion:

I think the beauty of the newsgroups is they provide a platform to
leverage multiple contributors and in return, receive multiple
answers. Usually something can be learned from every answer even if
it may not be the answer the original poster was seeking. We're well
aware there are a large number of lurkers in the newsgroups. Someone
reading this thread may not have known you can right-click buttons
and easily add them to the Quick Access Toolbar or that the Quick
Access Toolbar can be moved below the Ribbon. Others may have never
realized there is a new Equation Editor for Word 2007 and someone
mentioning the button may prompt them to take a look.
As for my opinion of what Kassy wants, I'm pretty sure what she (my
vote is female) really wants the fastest and most efficient method to
obtain a one-click access to the old Equation Editor (since the
Subject states Compatibility Mode and the new Equation Editor is
disabled when using Compatibility Mode) and doesn't care if it's on
the Ribbon or the Quick Access Toolbar.

My general opinion about this thread (and others like it in this this
group) is the newsgroups are for learning and sharing. If we honestly
want to know what someone is really asking, and expect them to hang
around to ask/answer follow-up questions, then our focus should be on
creating an environment that is conducive to asking questions -- not
obsessing over finding miniscule faults with those who are trying to
help others and learn at the same time.

~Beth Melton

"Beth Melton" wrote in message
"Greg Maxey" wrote in message
Here is another fact. The pi icon near the right end of the Insert
tab of the ribbon is not "giant." In fact it is sized "normal" as
compared to "large" like some other control icons on that tab
(e.g., WordArt, Chart, Picture, etc).

Whether the Equation button is large or regular size depends on your
screen real estate. As I'm sure you know the Ribbon will autoscale
and the buttons in Symbols group it's one of the first groups to
scale on the Insert tab and appear stacked instead of displayed
horizontally with large buttons. When there is enough room the
Equation button is the same size as the WordArt and Chart buttons.
In which case it may appear "giant" compared to say, the "Date and
Time" button. ~Beth Melton

--
Greg Maxey - Word MVP

My web site http://gregmaxey.mvps.org