Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Default Can I change Word 2007 menu back to 2003 drop-downs?

Hi Chris,

Microsoft have not written such an add-in, nor will they ever do so --
you can just forget about an official restoration of the old menus and
toolbars.

That doesn't mean others haven't risen to the challenge, though. Try
Patrick Schmid's Ribbon Customizer at
http://pschmid.net/office2007/ribbon...izer/index.php. There is a
free Starter version and a paid Professional version; you can try the
paid version for 30 days.

Another add-in is at http://www.word2007toolbarmenu.com, and you can
locate others with Google.

And if OpenOffice meets your needs, feel free (pun intended).

--
Jay

On Sun, 27 Sep 2009 16:23:01 -0700, Chris ML Chris
wrote:

I have recently got Word 2007 and have read the threads on this subject which
end 7th August. Does anyone know whether MS have now written a download to
convert to the old drop down menu's of 2003, as try as I might I cannot get
along with the new picture style menu.

Like others I spent years working with them and find them easier to get
along with. I don't want to revert to 2003, but have am now considering this
in light that there does not seem to be a fix.

I read a comment about students changing to OpenOffice, which is similar to
what has happened with my own children's peers.

"Beth Melton" wrote:

Interestingly, I'm by no means any type of "gamer" and I'm not much for "eye
candy" (I need functionality - not something pretty to look at!!) but now
that I've grown accustomed to the new UI the old one now looks a little
crude when I look at it. I think part of it is what you get used to seeing.

I hated it at first too but now that I've learned more about the new
features that have been implemented (there's more to the change than a new
look) I can't imagine ever living without some of them. Here are a couple
recent posts on this topic.

This one contains some tips on using Office 2007:
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...74095495101d1c

This one contains some information on what I think are a few of the most
exciting changes in Word 2007:
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...fef3bf5e?hl=en

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Coauthor of Word 2007 Inside Out:

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"Bev" wrote in message
Why does the 2007 version have to look like a game? It's a tool. For
those
of us who want the applications we live in daily to be tools, we really
need
a classic menu interface. MS is going to kill Office 2003 eventually.
Then
what?

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 02:30:08 -0800, Frustrated - London Frustrated -
wrote:

Just wondering whether I can change the graphics-based Word 2007 menu
back to
the 2003/ 'alt' + a, b style menu, which (in spite of working hard at it
over
the last month) I find clearer, faster and more logical than all these
teeny,
indistinct icons!

No, there's no support for menus in 2007. If you're interested in the
reasons for this, or want to argue with the man in charge, visit
Jensen Harris's blog at
http://blogs.msdn.com/jensenh/archiv...s/default.aspx.

If you remember the keyboard shortcuts from 2003, they all still work.
But some people are just not ever going to get comfortable with the
new style and will be happier staying with 2003.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman